Practical Autism Strategies
SELF-PACED ONLINE COURSE
With increasing numbers of Autistic students identified in mainstream schools, we need to adjust our approach to allow for neurodiverse thinking, communication and interaction styles in the classroom and playground.
We will discuss how neurodiversity affirming approaches to learning can increase engagement, and reduce anxiety and burnout among Autistic students. We will consider ways we can reduce sensory overload and allow students to move around and be more comfortable in our classroom.
This course helps you to support your neurodiverse students more effectively and positively in the classroom.
This course is re-opening for enrolment in Spring 2022.
Leave your details in the form below to join the wait list.
Through this 10-part training course you will learn neurodiversity affirming approaches to learning that can increase engagement and reduce anxiety and burnout among Autistic students.
Practical Autism Strategies Course
This DIY course provides the training for you to:
- Learn how to recognise autistic behaviours in students.
- Learn strategies for managing a variety of neurodiverse thinking, communicating and interaction styles.
- Learn how to better support the autistic students in your care or clinic.
- Submit your questions and get answers and strategies to help you.
Emphasis is placed on understanding how Autistic students perceive the world differently, and how this impacts on their engagement at school.
Who is this course for?
- Teachers and teacher aides who want to learn and share practical strategies which benefit Autistic students in the classroom and the playground.
- Psychologists, speech pathologists and occupational therapists who are interested in practical strategies for their Autistic clients are also very welcome to attend.
- This course can also benefit parents of school aged autistic children who want to better understand the latest research and strategies for supporting learning and behaviour of their child in the school environment.
Training covers include:
- Latest Autism diagnostic criteria changes
- Causes of Autism and why we don't need a cure
- Special interests and passions, opportunities to engage
- Communication styles and the Double Empathy Problem
- Neurodiversity and thinking styles
- Social interaction styles and creating opportunities around interests
- Sensory preferences and sensitivities
- Preferences around sameness and routine, easing transitions
- Repetitive movement and stims, moving to listen and learn
- Planning for life after school, finding your tribe
Participants are encouraged to make subtle changes to their interaction style to reduce students' anxiety and prevent challenging situations. Participants will get access to visuals and other tools that can be implemented at school.
This online course includes:
- Instant Access to all course content (via desktop or mobile)
- 10x 90min Recorded Training Workshops (video presentations)
- Audio files of the training workshops
- Mini-quizzes to integrate learning from the workshop videos
- Downloadable and printable Resources
- Access to ask Lydia questions as you go through the course
- Certificate of Completion - 15 CPD Points
- 12 month access to the learning materials and course updates
$495pp for individuals
$440pp for groups of 2+ people
Course Creator: Lydia Meem
Lydia Meem is a neurodivergent clinical psychologist who loves supporting her awesome clients to find joy, connection, work and study opportunities through their passions. She most enjoys tailoring autism strategies to the needs of Autistic individuals of all ages and their families, and empowering them to advocate for appropriate supports and accommodations.
Lydia is also a Fellow of the APS College of Clinical Psychologists, a Board-approved supervisor, and a Registrar program principal supervisor in the Clinical psychology area of practice.
In addition to this, Lydia is an author and popular speaker, presenting at autism conferences around the world, and providing training on autism assessments for psychologists and neurodiversity affirming approaches for teachers of Autistic students.
Throughout this course Lydia not only shares the latest research and strategies, but also takes in all of your questions to give you the advice, tools and confidence you need to better support autistic students in your care, your classroom, or your clinic.